I've never really thought about labeling a photoshopped image, or banning the use of the tool to beautify individuals before. I've recognized the unattainable beauty standards set for people, women in particular. But now that I'd read that article and watched that video, I think highly retouched photos should be labeled, maybe throw in a "not actual size" on the bottom of the photo or something. Just so it can be brought to the public's attention about how often they;re being deceived by false beauty. I wouldn't go so far as to ban the use of photoshop entirely, because it's extremely helpful. For example, if you had a giant pimple on your face the day you took your senior photos, you'd want it to be digitally removed, because that's not how you want your peers to remember you.
Comparing atletes using steroids to models who are photoshopped can be a fair comparison, however I don't view it the same way. Steroids are considered cheating in an athletes world, whereas every model is photoshopped, so it's not technically cheating. But it is causing a lot of insecurity for folks who don't meet up to these impossible standards. Photoshop or not, these models are beautiful people and people are always going to blame other people for their insecurities, when they should learn to overcome them. However, I have mixed feelings on this subject.
12/4/14
No comments:
Post a Comment